Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. --Proverbs 22:6--

Monday, February 25, 2008

First Day of School

Yes, I know I'm crazy.

In the middle of the excitement of adding a new member to our family, I've decided to just keep trucking on ahead. We started our first day of school today.

Don't be alarmed. We stopped PLENTY to cuddle, talk to, take picture of and just admire our new little guy. But, I have to say it felt good to keep some sort of order in the midst of all the newness.

God has been giving me a very quick recovery and I promise I am taking care to get rest. I just know there are a few concerned readers out there. Alright, now that that minds are at ease...

We had a very nice day today!

Started the day out with The Pledge of Allegiance, which we plan to do each morning. Superkid LOVES anything to do with America and the flag, so he's really enjoying this. From there I introduced his new math, which I explained is super easy right now, but there are certain concepts I want him to understand before moving on. He took it better than I expected. In fact he worked on his skip counting skills, just to "challenge himself" he said. Afterword we started on spelling. He did stress a little on the sentence he was supposed to try, but I assured him that he just needed to try his hardest. He liked that it was so quick and easy. After contemplating for awhile, I have decided to go ahead and copy the first 26 lessons in his art book. We are going to have to wait to start art for a little while. So, we just skipped that and went on to learn a little more about the meaning of The Pledge of Allegiance and began our timeline. I printed out pictures of each of the kids to put into our notebook. Don't know if I've mentioned it or not, but we already had a Wonders Of Old Timeline so I plan to just use that for the year. It was fun to put Baby Boy's new picture in there. :-) The last thing we did was our "character study" that I had added - The Ethics book. Since it is written in the late 1800's the vocabulary is much larger than we are used to, so we had a dictionary handy. Even still, I think it went well. It gave us some things to chew on. Superkid mentioned it later on, so even though it seemed a little bit above him, he heard something that kept his mind turning.

Don't think I mentioned this, but Daddy has decided he wants to try to do the bible with the kids each day. He's planning to begin tonight. He's also bringing home our Red, White and Blue snack. We might have to cuddle up and watch our viking movie we checked out from the library tonight too, just to end the day right. ;-)

Altogether today was very enjoyable.
I'll keep you updated as we go along.

No comments: