Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. --Proverbs 22:6--

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Well...here's where we're at.

We are still working. We've been having a great time as the weeks have flown past. We're all over the charts! In History & Read aloud, we're in Week 5. We're taking a break from that to catch up a little in some of the other areas. (We were just really enjoying those!!) I think we've almost exhausted the book basket books we have here on the subjects. We're also moving very quickly in math, which is good since this stuff is "easy, schmesy stuff" for him. :-) As for Bible and even science (since they seem to go together, I've been trying to keep them together) we're a bit behind. Hubs still is determined to do it and since this "year" we're taking it a little easier, I think it will all work out just fine.

I've said all of this to say...

We are really struggling in the project area! This just seems to be a season that calls for more "reading and writing" than projects. Yes, they are easy and very doable. Why I can't seem to get to them...not sure. But, we're learning all the same. Hopefully we can slip a few in here and there, but I have a feeling we won't be doing a whole lot of projects for a little while. No guilt, right? :-)

We are doing "Adventures" this year for a stress-free, relaxed year. That's the goal. And to learn a little in the process. So far, I think things are going as planned.

Speaking of enjoyment...the weather has been warming up and we've had some time to get out in the fresh air and play. It feels SO good! We've started doing some nature study since we found this blog. She posts weekly assignments. Since we're taking it a little slower, I'm not sure that I'll blog about it. We'll see. We just started, but I doubt we'll be doing it weekly right now.

And, speaking of Blogging...
It's looking like the way that we are heading through this curriculum is a little different. I think I might have trouble keeping up on a weekly basis, as opposed to maybe weekly check-ins or something.

And, since we're not doing as many projects, there is not as many fun things to post (with pictures, etc.) So, I'll have to think about how to reorganize the blog to make it so it's not too boring. :-)

Ok, I'm off to cuddle with my littlest and do a spelling test.
I'll brainstorm how to reorganize the blog in the meantime.

Catch up with you later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am not a member of the MFW message boards but I did read your message about teaching reading to your child. Just wanted you to know that ds(6) has been reading since before he was 4. He started mostly on his own just like your dc. I don't see anything wrong with teaching reading at a young age if you think your dc is ready. That is only for you to decide. I would suggest making it very fun, have a gentle approach and let them set the pace. Just happily go with you dc's flow. I used Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and it has worked well for us. It is lesson by lesson and you set your own pace.

Hope I was helpful!