Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. --Proverbs 22:6--

Friday, February 29, 2008

First week DONE!

This has been a lot of fun! Not too difficult to adjust to doing school - even with a newborn. :-) We had a break yesterday to visit with our family from out of town. Today we just picked up and did what we planned to do yesterday. Thankfully I have only a 4 day week planned this year, so that I can have a day to catch-up or let life take over.



Superkid is still working on that project I was talking about. I think his daddy is going to have to help with that one, since it's not my style thing. It will probably be done this weekend - I'll post a picture when it's complete.




Today went well. I love that this curriculum doesn't take long to finish each day - yet you accomplish so much within that small amount of time. It's so cool not to drag out the day doing school work, but knowing that we actually learned that day!




He's really having a hard time with spelling. Poor kid beats himself up whenever he gets any wrong. So, I made him cut out the "motto" for spelling and put it in his notebook. What is the motto you ask? I got it from the spelling curriculum itself: "Mistakes are opportunities to learn." I also make him say it whenever I find that he is discouraged. Hopefully he lightens up a little. Thankfully there is only just a few words per day and there are always a few very easy ones for him, to give him a little boost.




Still need to make copies, so we'll be behind a little in art. Looking at the first few lessons, I think we should be able to catch up easily.




Math is going well. I didn't realize he needed to practice counting backwards. I can see that this will really help him when he practices that a little more.




Ok. Enough of the boring stuff...


We did a fun experiment today!!




Our question was:


If you put an egg in salty water would it float better than in regular water?




So...we got out two cups, filled each with water.
Added salt to one.





















Then added the eggs.




















See, only the salty water with the egg floats!




















It was hard to get a side picture because the salty water cup looked really cloudy. But, you can see that the egg floated to the top since there was salt in the water. Superkid really liked doing this. So much so, he decided to go beyond and asked if he could add salt to the other one just to see if it would float up right away. We found that we needed to make sure that the salt was really mixed in before it would actually float. He put the lid on and shook it a little, then it finally rose up. Now we're off to eat some hard boiled eggs! Yum. :-)


We finished up our day reading about Leif Ericsson and adding our timeline picture.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I'm glad you are enjoying MFW. I love that is so flexible and works with every learning style. It has been such a blessing to our family. We are really enjoying learning.
www.homeschoolblogger/lyntley