Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. --Proverbs 22:6--

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spelling Switch-a-roo

I can't believe I haven't mentioned the fact that we switched our spelling!

Although I love the idea of Sequential Spelling, it just wasn't working well. Many of the words he had never seen let alone heard before. He was getting a little discouraged, even with "the motto." So, I sucked it up and bought the expensive (but highly recommended) Spelling Power.

I guess it is not THAT expensive considering you wear it out through high school with all of your children. So, when you take that into consideration, it's actually VERY economical. It's just a big upfront cost.

So, how do we like it you ask? :-)

I LOVE IT!!!

The author really took time to learn how to study spelling. As everyone mentions it is quite an instruction manual! My head was spinning after reading it all afternoon. But, it's really quite simple.

Here's how it works:
To begin you test to find out where your child should be placed. (one time only testing, but there are three different testing methods.)

After you know where to begin, each day you will do the following:

STEP 1:
~Find the group where you are at. Discuss the "spelling rule." Each list is grouped by sound, so they learn how the sounds are spelled.

~Then, test them on that group. You will only test until either 5 minutes are up or your child misses a specific amount of words. (usually it's 3 for us.)

---Your time is done, the rest is done independently by the student.---

STEP 2:
~Study the words missed using the "10 step study list." This is basically looking at the word to find out why you missed what you had missed, and trying to spell it a number of different ways.

STEP 3:
~Do an activity to practice spelling the words missed. These can be anything from typing them up, writing them in whipping cream, or writing them in a sentence. I've been having Superkid do a jumping jack for each letter of his spelling word. It's the act of doing something to help them remember how to spell their word correctly.

That's it. Then, when you do the test next you begin with the words missed to see if he/she learned them. It's really a neat concept!

So far it's really working well for us. Superkid seems to enjoy the activities and has been honest within himself when he is really struggling with a word, even when he's gotten it right - he's studied it to be more confident on that word. That's really neat to see.

I think it is worth the cost. Really. It not only is set up wonderfully, but it has taught me a lot about the why's and how's of spelling. Yep, it's a keeper around here.

Superkid tested in way higher then I though he would. And, as I test him (I decided since we're at the beginning age, we'd just start in A and make it a little easier for awhile.) He REALLY is a great speller!!! He's been tricking me this whole time acting like he doesn't know. I have been doing the "review tests" through level A and he's cruising through them. Pretty amazing!

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE homeschooling?
What else is better then watching your children grow and learn??

No comments: